Raqqa Canton General Assembly held its first meeting with the assemblies and communes in Raqqa, Manbij, Tabqa and Deir ez-Zor, and decided to expand the struggle to ensure freedom for Abdullah Öcalan.
Raqqa Canton General Assembly held its first meeting with the assemblies and communes in Manbij, Raqqa, Tabqa and Deir ez-Zor. The meeting was held in Mishwar Hall in Raqqa with the slogan “Communes are the guarantee of the democratic nation“.
Members of the assemblies in 4 cantons, representatives of civil society organizations, citizens, the co-presidency and representatives of the Democratic Autonomous Administration of Northern and Eastern Syria attended the meeting.
Hisên El Osman, co-chair of the Executive Council of the Democratic Autonomous Administration of Northern and Eastern Syria, said: “The New Social Contract gave a major role to the assemblies and communes in the decision-making stages. According to the contract, every citizen can participate in decision-making processes so that decisions are not centralized.”
Democratic Autonomous Administration co-chair Bêrîvan Xalid said: “Our revolution is the revolution of the communes, the revolution of women and a social revolution. On this basis, we are moving towards establishing our governance and our autonomous forces. You became the basis of the defeat of the central government.”
Heyfa El Ebdullah, co-chair of the General Council of Raqqa Canton, read and discussed the four topics of the meeting: commune, society and life, communal economy, women’s projects and moral society.
At the meeting, a theater play about the role of women in society was performed by Koma Hîlala Zêrîn to commemorate Martyr Sakine Cansız.
Some decisions taken at the end of the meeting were as follows:
- Increasing the level of struggle through actions and events to ensure the physical freedom of Leader Abdullah Öcalan.
- Holding panels, meetings and seminars for the public so that they understand the work of the people’s assemblies and the real duties of the communes.
- Communes will be represented by co-chairs.
- Implementation of the Social Contract approved by the Democratic People’s Assembly of Northern and Eastern Syria.
- The assemblies and communes hold annual dialogue workshops.
- Providing social and economic support to communes.